Military Vehicles Thread

Some of your toys would make clearing the acre I've been working on a lot easier....... The ole chainsaw and jeep will have to do since I'm broke.

Took the m916a1/M870a4 out for it's maiden voyage today. This is definitely the best setup I have driven. Rides great, 71mph top speed with the 52" tires.

IMG_20180131_143420.jpg

What's engine and transmission is in that truck? What's the power output?

I saw in the other thread where you said it didn't have as much power as you expected. 71 seems pretty good for top speed as long as it holds it's own on the hills.

What's engine and transmission is in that truck? What's the power output?

I saw in the other thread where you said it didn't have as much power as you expected. 71 seems pretty good for top speed as long as it holds it's own on the hills.

Detroit 60 series (~425hp) Allison ht740. It should pull better than it does in my opinion, hopefully fuel filters will help.

So I guess you have your CDL's now?

I got a farm tag (no CDL required). Plan to get used to it for the first year and then get the real commercial tag IF I decide I need it. Honestly most things I do with it will fall under the farm category anyways. Only bad thing is the 150 mile radius, but chances of me needing to go further are slim anyways.

Farm tag for this thing was about $850 (80,000), would be double that as a regular commercial tag. Bad thing is, with an 80k lb tag I can only haul about 33k. The truck and trailer scaled out at 46250 without chains, binders, etc.

425 is pretty good hp. Hopefully fuel filter will help like you stated. Maybe look for a boost leak also.

425 is pretty good hp. Hopefully fuel filter will help like you stated. Maybe look for a boost leak also.

Look back on page 7 at the Freightliner with the box in the bed. That truck has the exact drivetrain, just isn't 6x6. I was pulling the m548 behind it likely grossing 50k or so and it did great. Acceleration was awesome in it, and maintaining speed on hills was no problem (normal hills, not mountains). Top speed on that truck is 64mph.

I got a farm tag (no CDL required). Plan to get used to it for the first year and then get the real commercial tag IF I decide I need it. Honestly most things I do with it will fall under the farm category anyways. Only bad thing is the 150 mile radius, but chances of me needing to go further are slim anyways.

Farm tag for this thing was about $850 (80,000), would be double that as a regular commercial tag. Bad thing is, with an 80k lb tag I can only haul about 33k. The truck and trailer scaled out at 46250 without chains, binders, etc.

I've been told by some of my farmer friends that farm trucks can run 90,000 these days as long as you don't get on an interstate. That might just be for commodities though.

I've been told by some of my farmer friends that farm trucks can run 90,000 these days as long as you don't get on an interstate. That might just be for commodities though.

I am not sure. I think you still have to get an overweight permit ($100/year). The rules don't really make sense to me anyways, but best I understand as long as you are hauling stuff to use on your 'farm' you are fine. So if I was hauling an excavator FROM my farm to another location, as long as that location was say, a repair shop, I would be good to go.

Detroit 60 series (~425hp) Allison ht740. It should pull better than it does in my opinion, hopefully fuel filters will help.
If it has a actuator on the turbo it may need to be adjusted. Been a long time since a done one but it would start to open to soon and not reach full boost pressure. Also check for boost leaks in the intercooler system and intake manifold gaskets.

When you mention 71 max speed, is the rubber band stretched all the way? Are the engines governed to a certain rpm?

^badass

Have you tried to get any fuel economy #'s. I know it will suck, just curious.

Speedometer doesn't work. If I had to guess with a decent load (60k gross maybe) and not in the mountains you could expect 5-8mpg. But I don't check, don't drive it enough to matter.

Loading some stuff to take (for sale) to the military rally this weekend in Denton, knew the F350 would not make it up my driveway so I used the 8x8 to lift the tires and bring them down to the truck. I kind of figured the 8x8 wouldn't make it up the driveway either---it didn't. I backed it off the side of the driveway and left it for a drier day...

IMG_20180425_141612.jpg
IMG_20180425_141645.jpg

Loading some stuff to take (for sale) to the military rally this weekend in Denton, knew the F350 would not make it up my driveway so I used the 8x8 to lift the tires and bring them down to the truck. I kind of figured the 8x8 wouldn't make it up the driveway either---it didn't. I backed it off the side of the driveway and left it for a drier day...

View attachment 267020 View attachment 267021

Im heading down there saturday. Ill drop by and chat if I find ya!

View attachment 267020 View attachment 267021

That 8x8 is a pipe dream of mine. How much to just let me drive it to town and back? I’ll buy the fuel and your lunch.

You must have a rough driveway if a 8x8 can’t make it up

If I would have tried hard enough I probably could have made it, but I was trying to back up it and slid off into the rut on the far side. That truck is WEIRD to drive and REALLY weird to back up. I didn't want to make the driveway worse because a 75 year old lady has to drive her Pontiac Vibe up it (only when it is dry can she make it).

Back