Military Vehicles Thread

My new favorite tow pig. 60 series Detroit, Allison 4 speed, and now with 16r20 tires which are 10" taller than the factory tires. GPS'd it today at 75mph (may go a little faster) it was very comfortable at 60-65. Previous top speed was 59-60 pegged to the floor.

Attachments

• IMG_20170829_194735.jpg
    IMG_20170829_194735.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 321
If the 60 series Detroit is what I think it is they have rep in my industry as being bulletproof workhorses.

My new favorite tow pig. 60 series Detroit, Allison 4 speed, and now with 16r20 tires which are 10" taller than the factory tires. GPS'd it today at 75mph (may go a little faster) it was very comfortable at 60-65. Previous top speed was 59-60 pegged to the floor.
Do you have to have a CDL with that one, since you are going to tow with it?

Do you have to have a CDL with that one, since you are going to tow with it?

Not once it gets tagged as an RV. I really wish I could justify buying a 5th wheel trailer and leaving the truck as-is, but tags and insurance are crazy if it is not tagged as an RV. RV tag should be about $65/year, to tag the truck for 80k lbs would be over $2k I think.

Is NC not that strict about titling things as RVs? Are you going to add some sort of 'living quarters' to fool the inspector? As it sits, it's clearly a heavy towing rig.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Is NC not that strict about titling things as RVs? Are you going to add some sort of 'living quarters' to fool the inspector? As it sits, it's clearly a heavy towing rig.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yes. The 5th wheel and winch will be removed. Hopefully eventually will.be something like this:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170825-212149.png
    Screenshot_20170825-212149.png
    482.9 KB · Views: 313
From what I understand, it is because of armor plating. The military is not allowed to sell civilians vehicles with armor. Because we may do something the government doesn't feel like we are allowed to as free citizens

Of all of my lurking I have not seen this thread before.

I have thought about buying into some of the MilSurp equipment, looking at the heavy duty stuff being the 5 ton stuff (MKs and the like being well off the radar!) I would really like to get a Huey, but thats more for personal use and fun.

Are you surfing the auctions or buying private, if you dont mind me asking?

We have this truck to haul silage with. It's been a complete lemon, had to have the engine rebuilt, new trans, rear end replaced, and its in the shop now getting a rebuilt transfer case that cost $6k. Have so much money in now that I could never get rid of it

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 325
We have this truck to haul silage with. It's been a complete lemon, had to have the engine rebuilt, new trans, rear end replaced, and its in the shop now getting a rebuilt transfer case that cost $6k. Have so much money in now that I could never get rid of it

Yea you definitely have WAY more in it than it's worth from the sound of it. I just sold one just like it for $8500 that had air ride seats and air conditioning. Was a great running truck but I was glad to see it go.

Looks like an RG31 MRAP. Mostly used by eod. They take a pretty good hit, maneuverable for their size and pretty quick for the weight. "Up armor packages" are also available to bolt on to the exsisting armor. You can get rid of the manned turret and add a C.R.O.W. system as well. Think remote controlled machine gun with amazing thermal/day camera and zoom capability joy stick controlled from the comfort of the interior. With the mounting point on the front it is also equipped to push a mine roller too.

Out with the old and in with the new. Got lucky and ran across a deal on some trailers, I sold three for them and bought three myself (actually technically got one for 'free'). I plan to sell two and keep one. I guess now I need to go get my CDL's finally and a very expensive tag/insurance for the truck. Bad part is even with an 80k lb tag I will only be able to haul about 30k lbs without getting an overweight tag, which I could have done with the 20-ton tag trailer with truck tagged as an RV. Oh well, maybe now I need to start looking for people needing to haul an 80k lb load somewhere off road. These trailers are rated to carry 40 ton payload. Would put overall truck/trailer about 130k lbs haha.

Best part? 2013 trailers that have never even been used. ZERO miles on them. So who wants a big trailer?

IMG_20171120_161413770.jpg

Back