Military Vehicles Thread

New addition today! Have to rebuild the carb and get a battery for it. Who knows what else. 1999 model, #58 off the assembly line of ~350 that were made in 1999. 500 total between 99-2000.

So now---I officially own a Harley Davidson (model MT500).

IMG_20220110_111004953_HDR.jpg
Screenshot_20220109-131922.png

Cleaned the carburetor and put it back together as rebuild parts are seemingly hard to come by, I will do some more searching though. Got it running and put 30 miles on it between yesterday and today. Awesome running bike, comfortable at 55mph and 65-70 sounds to be taching fairly high (no tachometer). I am happy with 55 it definitely is not comfortable enough to be a long distance bike.

I have had 3-4 Harley guys that didn't have a clue what it was all want to buy it.

IMG_20220124_151625006_HDR.jpg

I have had 3-4 Harley guys that didn't have a clue what it was all want to buy it.

View attachment 365801
Do you know Billy Harrelson?

He lives on the corner of friendship and that neighborhood just before meadowlands with the detached garage.

He has 5 harleys. One is a SCOOTER. I'd bet good money he would pay premium for it because unique

Do you know Billy Harrelson?

He lives on the corner of friendship and that neighborhood just before meadowlands with the detached garage.

He has 5 harleys. One is a SCOOTER. I'd bet good money he would pay premium for it because unique

Don't know him, but sounds like probably the guy that details cars for people? Honestly I don't intend to sell it anytime soon, it fits with the army trucks too well, and even 10 years from now after I have burned through a couple more sets of tires (hopefully) it should still be worth more than what I paid for it. Have a Harley Vrod I need to sell though haha.

Oshkosh MK30 7-ton (dump with winch). Very rare truck, bought it from a guy up in Oxford. I have a guy buying my MK23, I have to take it to him in a couple days. The MK30 needs a good bit of love but at least it runs/drives/dumps.

IMG_20220208_160636261_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220208_162604528_HDR.jpg

Dannnnggg...that'd be nice to have at the house!

Dannnnggg...that'd be nice to have at the house!
It has come in handy already. Hauled a load of dirt to my mom's house (she is having some landscaping done), and cut three trees down at my house. Being able to haul the brush off is way better than dragging it all into the woods. There is a 'stump dump' about a mile from my house that takes brush, sells dirt, etc so it is convenient.

One day, when I'm less poor...that and a tandem dual trailer would be amazing to haul my next excavator around with.

Bought a dumptruck yesterday sight unseen (from another military surplus guy), had it picked up by a buddy this morning and delivered it to it's new owner today. I think that may have been the fastest I have managed a buy/sell deal. Drove down to Denton and showed the guy how to work it, I had to remember how to work a 5-ton myself, has been 5-6 years probably since I have actually owned one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220217-184833-162.png
    Screenshot_20220217-184833-162.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 134
POS, and it will probably sell for more than it's worth no doubt.
I trust your judgement but it's still cool to me. Is that a crane on the back? Most of those I've seen have a backhoe.

I trust your judgement but it's still cool to me. Is that a crane on the back? Most of those I've seen have a backhoe.
I think DED did an episode around one, and I came to the same conclusion that it was a POS.

I've had a couple of the FLU-419's. One was pretty rough but ran, the other was pretty nice, but I had replaced the tires and repacked some of the cylinders on it. It drove good and functioned good, I used it to knock down a bunch of Leyland Cypress trees at my old house. I don't think I paid $7200 for either of the ones I had and they were WAY nicer than that one that sold today. I don't even watch the auctions anymore. Actually forgot the auction was today (it's every Wednesday). I looked, a MTVR with no roof, doors, or windshield sold for $22k. For reference, after getting the one I had hauled home, new tires, and various other stuff I did to it I probably had around $12k in it (recently sold it for a LOT more than that though).

Prices are so high now the risk outweighs the reward.

POS, and it will probably sell for more than it's worth no doubt.
I don't think I paid $7200 for either of the ones I had and they were WAY nicer than that one that sold today.
Yep, $7200, plus 15% auction fee, plus TX sales tax. Somewhere close to $9000 plus delivery, cuz you ain't driving that POS home!

ouch, thats way too much for that thing. i guess its not the glory days of the gov liquidation auctions that no one knew about or bid on back in the early 2000s...

Fuck those damn flu trucks. Friend of mine lost an eye due to the never ending hydraulic hose issues and lost another drinking/Harley riding buddy to one that crashed while driving it in transport to a field problem when the hydraulic steering went full potato sending him all over the road and into an oncoming semi ( yes we were off post headed to a remote training area). I wouldn’t get paid to own one based on the bad taste in my mouth.

I won't say they are ALL POS's, the nice one I had (after I fixed the issues) functioned well. But it only felt safe to drive to about 35mph. A backhoe/loader is way more practical, but the FLU's are cool just for the Unimog aspect.

BUT all that said, I don't want to catch the FLU again....

Whats the going rate for an m105a2 trailer? Looking at one that's been converted to have a dump bed for hauling some gravel around the house. I know they're tall and heavy....

Whats the going rate for an m105a2 trailer? Looking at one that's been converted to have a dump bed for hauling some gravel around the house. I know they're tall and heavy....

Having been converted to a dump (I assume 12 bolt electric over hydraulic) I wouldn't give more than what the dump assembly is worth, and maybe factor in about $500 for the trailer. If I had to guess, $1000 if it is fairly nice? The trailer itself is pretty hard to sell, I have scrapped m105's before.

Having been converted to a dump (I assume 12 bolt electric over hydraulic) I wouldn't give more than what the dump assembly is worth, and maybe factor in about $500 for the trailer. If I had to guess, $1000 if it is fairly nice? The trailer itself is pretty hard to sell, I have scrapped m105's before.
Yea I was thinking about $500ish for the trailer and maybe a little more for the dump capability. I guess tire availability is another consideration as well? Looks like it’s in pretty good shape and the adjustable pintle might be helpful. Wasn’t really sure how user friendly these trailers were though since they we made to be pulled by those big trucks I assume.

C7106B70-1BD9-425F-91EF-74DDB59A32FD.jpeg

F6F03EE5-861E-465A-8AEB-36C0FC3823C1.jpeg
2ADDBC61-227A-40C2-A13D-EB4369BE0987.jpeg
6B51CCB8-B5E4-4894-99BC-ED50D6DBDCAD.jpeg

Oh, it appears to be at auction. Don't waste your time watching, it'll go for considerably more than it's worth probably. It is a nice looking trailer. I pulled one behind my excursion that was loaded with tires and had a helmet top on it home from Oklahoma, the excursion handled it fine.

Back