"Take 92" - YJ Linked with Nines

Looks like a good time. Harlan is my favorite place to wheel.

I followed this whole build and love it. Curious, are you happy with the wheelbase or wish maybe the rear was out a little more? What is the wheel base btw? Probably back somewhere If I read it again...

Any video of you coming between the rock and the tree in Lion's Den? You get any hood or cowl damage?

I dont think anyone got video.. but I put my tire up on rock and started to lean into the tree more then I wanted so I backed off and when I did the jeep completely leaned the other direction where I almost flipped the jeep onto drivers side, so we hooked up a strap and had Black Bear put some weight on the strap as I backed up to level it, but then the rock was wet and my rear end was to far over to the drivers side so I could not get lined up correctly so I drove up the rock and tree at same time until I had no more traction and rear was hung up off drivers side.. so I hooked winch up to get me a tug up and once front got up high enough I was able to drive the rest of the way threw the gap and then all the way out.

Looks like a good time. Harlan is my favorite place to wheel.

I followed this whole build and love it. Curious, are you happy with the wheelbase or wish maybe the rear was out a little more? What is the wheel base btw? Probably back somewhere If I read it again...

so far the wheelbase has worked great.. I have no complaints at all..

wheelbase is 102"

How you liking your Creepies? I just put a set of 40's on mine

How you liking your Creepies? I just put a set of 40's on mine

What I found is I have to have them aired way down for them to work.

The one thing I don't like is mine have a very big crown to them. I have contacted Maxxis but they really had no answer to why.

I've only wheeled mine once. Dropped them to 5psi and was very happy. A few friends have complained about then not hooking up on wet rocks though

What do you mean when you say crown?

I've only wheeled mine once. Dropped them to 5psi and was very happy. A few friends have complained about then not hooking up on wet rocks though

What do you mean when you say crown?

The center of tire is taller then the outside edge so the tire looks like it is over aired up.

What psi are you running them at? Mine are somewhat the same but nothing crazy. Yours bias or radial?

I had 38.5x14.5 Creepies on 16x9 wheels and noticed the same thing about the crowning. I didn't put that many street miles on them, but never noticed any unusual wear. They just looked balloony.

What psi are you running them at? Mine are somewhat the same but nothing crazy. Yours bias or radial?

pretty sure Bias.. I ran them at 4psi for this wheeling trip

Last edited:
I had 38.5x14.5 Creepies on 16x9 wheels and noticed the same thing about the crowning. I didn't put that many street miles on them, but never noticed any unusual wear. They just looked balloony.

I'm pretty sure that's how they all look. I've never seen a set that were flat on top.

Yeah the shoulders on mine don't touch unless I'm aired down. I only run 10-15psi on the street and they don't touch going straight but will if I throw it in a corner or drift it

After wheeling it a bunch and having to deal with wet conditions and not having a good way to cover the jeep at night after wheeling except by using a trap which tore the last time out, it was time to upgrade and get a real Jeep cover.. I looked at few from the more mass produced companies and the quality was just not there..

I found GR8TOPS and there Jeep Jacket..

Let me say holy crap this is a heavy duty canvas with metal clips and it even fits with my light bar on.. if I took the light bar off I am sure it would be very tight and snug as a bug..

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_1613.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_1614.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_1615.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_1616.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_1617.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_1618.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_1619.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_1620.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_1621.jpg

Last edited:
I can attest to their quality. My Jeep lives outside covered in a Jeep Jacket. So far it's lasted two years as the only weather protection for my Jeep when I'm not driving it.

Also, if you go to their site and look at their CJ-8 cover, yours truly's Jeep is the model :D

Can't hide money
I can attest to their quality. My Jeep lives outside covered in a Jeep Jacket. So far it's lasted two years as the only weather protection for my Jeep when I'm not driving it.

Also, if you go to their site and look at their CJ-8 cover, yours truly's Jeep is the model :D

There's a Bestop on Amazon for $64. Is the Gr8tops one 3x nicer than a Bestop cover? I've had one for years, and it's fine.

Even at retail, this one is 50% more than comparable "trail covers".

Can't hide money
There's a Bestop on Amazon for $64. Is the Gr8tops one 3x nicer than a Bestop cover? I've had one for years, and it's fine.

I find it funny hearing you say that coming from the guy that always talks about spending money one time on good parts, or buying form local builders, etc..

From what I saw from other tops that many guys in CNC have and the material quality I will stay with my Jeep Jacket and never have to worry about it..

I also like the fact that it is made in the USA and there are even a few guys that have used the Jeep Jacket when towing down the highway with no issues..

Can't hide money

At the time I bought mine, there were only two companies making rain covers for the CJ-8, Gr8tops and RainGear (still looks like they're the only two). Gr8tops owner is (or was) an active member in the national scrambler owners club, makes all his covers in South Carolina, are reportedly more durable than the RainGear covers, and at the time I bought mine were only $50 more. That's how I chose it.
I do think when this one wears out I will order a RainGear cover, just to say I've tried both.

You can go for the ad hominem, it won't hurt my feelings. But I think you misunderstand me. Fundamentally, I'm a cheap ass. I'm going to avoid half measures because they cost money, not because I'm anxious to buy top shelf parts.

If you say you decided to pay $200 for a tarp so your butt doesn't get wet, you'd better be able to back it up with facts more substantial than "I'm glad I spent so much monies!!!" Here at the house, I have an OEM top, a Bestop (they make OEM, btw), and a Smittybilt. I've never looked at any of them and thought, "Man, this fabric is pretty shitty, I wish I had a top made out of unicorn hide." Maybe the unicorn hide imparts magical powers to the vehicle. I wouldn't know, because I've never had a unicorn hide soft top. But if you buy a unicorn hide soft top and post a build thread about how glad you are that you traded your firstborn son for a unicorn hide soft top, you'd better be prepared to impart some wisdom to the populace about all the magical shit your Jeep is now capable of doing.

Absent the knowledge of what I'm missing out with the unicorn hide soft top, I'll stick with a $65 open box from Amazon. My ass is dry either way.

You can go for the ad hominem, it won't hurt my feelings. But I think you misunderstand me. Fundamentally, I'm a cheap ass. I'm going to avoid half measures because they cost money, not because I'm anxious to buy top shelf parts.

If you say you decided to pay $200 for a tarp so your butt doesn't get wet, you'd better be able to back it up with facts more substantial than "I'm glad I spent so much monies!!!" Here at the house, I have an OEM top, a Bestop (they make OEM, btw), and a Smittybilt. I've never looked at any of them and thought, "Man, this fabric is pretty shitty, I wish I had a top made out of unicorn hide." Maybe the unicorn hide imparts magical powers to the vehicle. I wouldn't know, because I've never had a unicorn hide soft top. But if you buy a unicorn hide soft top and post a build thread about how glad you are that you traded your firstborn son for a unicorn hide soft top, you'd better be prepared to impart some wisdom to the populace about all the magical shit your Jeep is now capable of doing.

Absent the knowledge of what I'm missing out with the unicorn hide soft top, I'll stick with a $65 open box from Amazon. My ass is dry either way.

See I used to have the same opinion. I have a shittybilt cab cover for my pile at home. Ken's cover puts it to shame. I had no issues with the smittybilt cover for a couple years until I decided to use it while trailering up to Rausch in June. The quality showed. Halfway up the fabric ripped right at the windshield seam. The stitching was not subpar, the ripping was due to shittily placed straps. It never fit the jeep properly and was whipping and flapping like crazy. The straps on the GR8TOPS cover are better thought out and better placed. I wouldn't hesitate to tow cross country with it on. That is where I see the difference.

I must admit I like my unicorns especially when I know they will protect my ass in the weather.

I have been threw the buy cheap stuff and then replace it many times down the road. As I have gotten older and wiser I now look for better quality stuff the first time and if I can't afford it then I save up until I can.

See I used to have the same opinion. I have a shittybilt cab cover for my pile at home. Ken's cover puts it to shame. I had no issues with the smittybilt cover for a couple years until I decided to use it while trailering up to Rausch in June. The quality showed. Halfway up the fabric ripped right at the windshield seam. The stitching was not subpar, the ripping was due to shittily placed straps. It never fit the jeep properly and was whipping and flapping like crazy. The straps on the GR8TOPS cover are better thought out and better placed. I wouldn't hesitate to tow cross country with it on. That is where I see the difference.
I bet none of them are truly rated for going down the highway at 70mph though. It sounds like it worked well as a rain cover when parked which was the intended use. Thats kinda like the people that buy easy ups then complain because rain gets through when they are marketed as sun shades, not umbrellas. If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, you will think its the most worthless animal ever.

after many attempts to have a good catch can for my fuel breather/over flow I finally upgraded.. found a real cheap deal on amazon and grabbed it.. now we will see how this one does in a few weeks when I go wheeling

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_wrangler_img_1804.jpg

Back