What have you done to your rig today?

ECGS order showed up. Slapped the front back together. Technically she's ready for another round but I'm going to do the other side first.

IMG_20190403_163732.jpg

Stick with the 44. 60 fronts are too heavy. Yes, they are stronger, once you upgrade a few things. But so are 44s, and lighter weight is pretty undervalued around here.
They are not that much heavier.

Yeah, it's only about 200 more pounds of unsprung weight.
Only 147 lbs more in the front application and 120lbs more in the rear application. Put on lightweight 1/2 ton brakes and be even closer in weight. With the much stronger axle I think the weight is a non issue.

Only 147 lbs more in the front application and 120lbs more in the rear application. Put on lightweight 1/2 ton brakes and be even closer in weight. With the much stronger axle I think the weight is a non issue.
Look man, I googled and saw that chart too, it's not right. It says a front 60 is 305 pounds and a front 44 is 158 pounds. Both of those numbers are wrong. A complete D44 is about 250lbs, and a complete D60 is in the neighborhood of 450-500lbs. I was being generous with the 200lb difference. Yes, you can do things to make them lighter, but you can also do things to make them heavier like 1 ton steering and a thick cover and a truss or link mount. I've drug both in and out from under my Jeep too many times over the past 15 years and they are not even in the same ballpark on weight.

Look man, I googled and saw that chart too, it's not right. It says a front 60 is 305 pounds and a front 44 is 158 pounds. Both of those numbers are wrong. A complete D44 is about 250lbs, and a complete D60 is in the neighborhood of 450-500lbs. I was being generous with the 200lb difference. Yes, you can do things to make them lighter, but you can also do things to make them heavier like 1 ton steering and a thick cover and a truss or link mount. I've drug both in and out from under my Jeep too many times over the past 15 years and they are not even in the same ballpark on weight.

If yall give me a few week's I'll try and find a scale to measure the axle's I've got in the shop right now.

If yall give me a few week's I'll try and find a scale to measure the axle's I've got in the shop right now.
It's really not necessary. I've had both. A 60 is stronger, a 44 is lighter and has a little more ground clearance. I just like for people to make decisions based on complete information, and this thread was only getting half of the information.

Ran a new air intake tube that hopefully won't break loose from the MAF under full woopow.
Extended the MAF harness with 4 way trailer wiring because I'm a full blown baller like that

I have both sitting side by side on pallets right now. They are not that much different in weight. The things you listed to make them heavier can be done to any axle so you have to compare stock housing to stock housing.

If a dana 60 was 500 lbs I seriously doubt me and my other friend could have lifted it from the floor onto my bench.

It's really not necessary. I've had both. A 60 is stronger, a 44 is lighter and has a little more ground clearance. I just like for people to make decisions based on complete information, and this thread was only getting half of the information.
Here is real world whole information. When I built my buggy it was on toy axles trussed and all 3 link in the front. Steel DIY beadlocks.
All weights with my buddies race car scales for his late model.

Toy axles rig weighed 3,075lbs

Then I swapped to dana60s front and rear much larger trusses on each and did 4 link front instead of 3. Still used diy steel beadlocks just 8 lug instead of 6. Everything else stayed the same.

with 60s the rig weighed 3,468lbs.

So just under 400 lbs more than toy axles between each pair and the trusses on the 60s are much larger and thicker material than what was on the toy axles.

So there's the WHOLE truth, I guess the dana 44s are lighter than toy axles.

Here is real world whole information. When I built my buggy it was on toy axles trussed and all 3 link in the front. Steel DIY beadlocks.
All weights with my buddies race car scales for his late model.

Toy axles rig weighed 3,075lbs

Then I swapped to dana60s front and rear much larger trusses on each and did 4 link front instead of 3. Still used diy steel beadlocks just 8 lug instead of 6. Everything else stayed the same.

with 60s the rig weighed 3,468lbs.

So just under 400 lbs more than toy axles between each pair and the trusses on the 60s are much larger and thicker material than what was on the toy axles.

So there's the WHOLE truth, I guess the dana 44s are lighter than toy axles.
Yes, D44s are lighter than some Toyota axles. I don't know Toyota axles, so I'm sure there's some smaller versions that are lighter. A Landcruiser front is notably heavier than a D44.

Yes, D44s are lighter than some Toyota axles. I don't know Toyota axles, so I'm sure there's some smaller versions that are lighter. A Landcruiser front is notably heavier than a D44.

I would bet the 9.5" rear from a 100 series cruiser is very close in weight to a D60.....

I'm talking regular mini truck 8" axles.

Finally got around to welding reinforcing into my winch plate, now I can use it without worrying about it flying off! New fenders, old camper shell, put the seats in (ratchet strap to hold driver seat in). Drove it around the yard, ripped out the plastic inner liner on the new bed first thing.

Debating on ordering the new seat brackets, steering, or putting a new windshield in, BUDGETS SUCK!

Started cutting my center console up to fit my new light panel.

IMG_20190410_132351.jpg

IMG_20190410_123006.jpg

And yes I'm aware it hangs over a tad. It's between the seats so you'll never notice it and it beats having to fab up another console. I did some more grinding and it actually fits better now and doesn't hang over the front. At some point I'll post a pic when I'm finished with it all.

Back