What have you done to your rig today?

I used the long weekend to finish up my electric power steering for my fairlane, and I got the crawlers tires dirty in uwharrie.
b28f11006593df2a29b1a36cdde44af1.jpg
ab6662bff74d036c6000ca98b9b9e8aa.jpg
b7c39fa1654bc544e9fd84fe3fd05b06.jpg
b8f49a1e10d1dae19e2ec9bde5997c01.jpg

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

I used the long weekend to finish up my electric power steering for my fairlane, and I got the crawlers tires dirty in uwharrie.
b28f11006593df2a29b1a36cdde44af1.jpg

How much time do you got in that? Thinking wondering if that might be worth it on a buddy/customer street/strip car instead of ps pump and gear.. or do they have electric ps pumps?

How much time do you got in that? Thinking wondering if that might be worth it on a buddy/customer street/strip car instead of ps pump and gear.. or do they have electric ps pumps?
They do have electric PS pumps. Toyota mr2 came with them years ago and the first Prius (prii?) came with an electric over hydraulic pump. Not sure of their output though.

The column version seems to work good if you have a manual gearbox like my fairlane or a manual rack, but it may not work on all cars (may not be strong enough) the newer mustangs and camaro have an electric rack instead of an electric column because the steering loads are too high for the column.

I have about $250 and 30ish hours in mine. I didn't want to cut up my original column so most of that time was fabing a column to replace it. This could be done in a day or two if you were just cutting up the stock column. You can buy kits for many cars or universal kits for around $1500, they still require cutting and welding but all the adapter fabrication is done usually.

If you want to fall down the rabbit hole, google "best $200 dollar mod ever (eps)" and read through the 85 page thread on vintage mustang forum. Then google "electric power steering with fail safe" and read one of the many threads the same guy posted all over the internet about using a Toyota system Vs a Saturn vue system.

Here it is in action. The car is obviously not running since its got a high compression 390 with 3" exhaust and flowmasters. Also you can see the blue cold engine light and the red oil and alt lights lit up. The loud noise is the tires scrubbing on my sealed concrete floor.

Using it in fail-safe mode gives a medium assist level and there's about a 10 second delay after key on with no assistance while the module tries to find the can bus network. If you buy a kit or use the Saturn vue system with the additional conversion box there is no delay I believe.

I'm looking for a non-abs Toyota yaris to get a module from now. The Prius motor will plug right in but it has a non can bus vss input that I can get from a driveshaft sensor to turn the column on immediately on vehicle movement, and it will give me three assist levels based off speed.

We have done a number of the electric steering/column conversions. All using EPAS performance kits, with great success. They are a bit pricey, but keep things pretty tidy and can be adapted to a number of different things pretty easily. They can be done cheaper (as Tim pointed out), but from a business stand point the kits make things pretty simple.

20180909_160029.jpg

Got the battery on a trickle charger since it died sitting and didn't recharge idling the past few times I used it. Washed the windows so I can see out of it this weekend.

There the chainsaw and machete in there just in case I'd need it getting to work or getting out of the house

Started prepping for Dixie Run 2018 and the fall wheeling season today. This engine has been a good one but over the past two years oil pressure has been steadily dropping. This year I had 10 psi and then after the ride at the shop I only had 5 psi at idle and could hear a small knock. So out with the old and start getting the new one set in its place.
e4c438ca591ec4ae402bca184046dd9d.jpg
d369cfc77102a557dd529a6a31a47f35.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Started prepping for Dixie Run 2018 and the fall wheeling season today. This engine has been a good one but over the past two years oil pressure has been steadily dropping. This year I had 10 psi and then after the ride at the shop I only had 5 psi at idle and could hear a small knock. So out with the old and start getting the new one set in its place.
e4c438ca591ec4ae402bca184046dd9d.jpg
d369cfc77102a557dd529a6a31a47f35.jpg

Tick tock [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I did put two new Red Tops in my CUCV so I could move it before the storm. I hope these last a LOT longer than the last set did. I even have one of their Digital 1200 battery chargers...even if their batteries suck, that charger is badass!

The next set hopefully won't be Optimas, but I'll have to change the battery box too.

Tick tock [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
It's alot closer to running today.
b7d8c5676a308a2e851cc36d34ac8fb0.jpg
ba6e5f17abcb733899df2824e000365d.jpg

Started swapping in my atlas. Really should have thought about driveshafts before now. Gonna need two new ones before Dixie run.

Heads up maybe, @Oliver's
Dang..if only you knew someone who had done this and could have advised

Shanked the bottom end in my dd xj Monday morning. :poop::shaking: Just now put on lift to swap motor out. Seems like a good reason to have to build the stroker motor for the yj since I'm putting the complete motor in my xj. :rolleyes::smokin:

Surgery under way. Heart transplant victim...err patient.
IMG_20180915_164202604s.jpg

Last edited:
Back